Congress acknowledges that about 9 per cent of the population of India is over the age of 60 years and this proportion will increase.
Congress promises to review current policies on senior citizens and make suitable changes, taking into account advances in medical science and technology.
- Under the Right to Healthcare Act, we will provide affordable and quality healthcare to senior citizens in hospitals including free diagnostics, out-patient treatment, medicines and hospital treatment. Geriatric wards with sufficient beds will be opened in every district-level hospital.
- We will introduce well-designed pension and health insurance schemes that will guarantee insured persons a life of dignity and comfort when they become senior citizens.
- Senior citizens can contribute to the development of the communities in which they live. We will create opportunities for senior citizens to do so.
- We will take measures to ensure easy access to legal services and recourse to senior citizens especially in cases of neglect, abuse, abandonment, eviction and financial fraud.
- Congress promises to enforce strictly the provisions of the Maintenance and Welfare of Senior Citizens Act, 2017.