Congress promises to enhance infrastructure in rural areas and improve the quality of public goods such as roads, bridges, water supply, sanitation, electricity and schools.
- In order to fill the gaps in sector-specific schemes as well correct any unintended bias, we will empower Panchayats and Municipalities to design and execute infrastructure projects. Congress promises to establish a non-lapsable Rural Infrastructure Fund that will provide loans and grants to specific infrastructure projects undertaken by Panchayats and Municipalities.
- We will launch MGNREGA 3.0 to address issues of water security, soil quality and similar issues that aggravate farmers’ distress. To this end, we will:
- Increase the guaranteed days of employment up to 150 days in cases where 100 days have been achieved in a block/district;
- Use MGNREGA labour in the Waterbodies Restoration Mission and the Wasteland Regeneration Mission; and
- Use MGNREGA funds to build public assets such as primary health centres, classrooms, libraries etc.
- Congress promises to connect all villages and habitations with a population of 250 with a road under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana. Broadband connectivity will be provided to all village Panchayats by the year 2021.
- The allocation to the National Drinking Water Mission that has suffered neglect under the BJP government will be increased.
- We will pass the Right to Homestead Act to provide a homestead for every household that does not own a home, or own land on which a house may be built.