NORTH EASTERN STATES
Congress affirms that the North Eastern States (NES) are a unique and valued part of India that bring into our Union many diverse and rich cultures, languages, traditions and bio-diversity. We are committed to defending and protecting the interests of the NES and their people and to ensuring the rapid economic development of the region.
- Congress promises to restore the Special Category status to the NES.
- Congress promises an industrial policy for the NES.
- We will withdraw immediately the widely resented Citizenship Amendment Bill introduced by the BJP Government against the wishes of the people of the NES.
- We will ensure that no citizen of India is denied inclusion in the final National Register of Citizens.
- We will address the issue of illegal immigration into the NES through consultation with the NES and evolve a consensus on the legislative measures that will secure the identity of the indigenous communities. We will also engage the neighbouring countries, Bangladesh and Myanmar, to address and resolve the issue of illegal immigration into India.
- Congress will strengthen the security of the borders of the NES with Bangladesh, Myanmar and China, resolve any border issues through dialogue with the neighbouring countries and make the borders ‘borders of prosperity and growth;’ and
- We will resolve the pending inter-state issues, including boundary issues, in the NES through dialogue or mediation.
- The importance of border trade to the economy of the NES cannot be overstated. Regular export and import trade will also create huge economic opportunities, including more jobs, in the NES. We promise to take bold and innovative measures to enhance trade in general, and border trade in particular, with neighbouring countries and other countries further to the east.
- Congress will strengthen the North Eastern Council and take steps to expand and reinforce the original mandate of the Council.
- We will cause a comprehensive review of the policies and special programmes that are under implementation in the NES and make changes wherever necessary.
- Congress promises to substantially increase the budget outlays for infrastructure and social sector development in the NES, especially for railways, roads, communication, connectivity and tourism. We will provide sufficient funds to address the development gaps in education and healthcare.
- We will leverage the rich bio-diversity and natural resources of the NES to generate livelihood opportunities in sustainable agriculture, horticulture and organic farming.
- We will use modern technology to harness the waters of the Brahmaputra and to find a permanent solution to the problems of flood and soil erosion. We will examine the opportunity provided by the mighty Brahmaputra to create a multi-modal transport system in the North Eastern region.
- Congress acknowledges the importance of Autonomous District Councils within the NES and promises to enhance financial assistance to these Councils.
- We will ensure that tea garden workers are paid wages and given other benefits in accordance with the laws applicable to them and according to the bilateral agreements.