LOCAL SELF GOVERNMENTS
Congress promises that the independence and integrity of the judiciary will be maintained and protected at all costs.
Congress was the proponent and author of the Constitution 73rd and 74th Amendments. Panchayati Raj lies at the core of good governance in our country, where the majority of citizens live outside metropolitan cities. Congress promises to take further measures to strengthen the concept of Local Government – Panchayats and Municipalities.
- We will remove all provisions stipulating pre-qualifications (such as minimum education) for candidates at elections to local bodies.
- Congress will work with State Governments to ensure that a share of GST revenue is allocated to Panchayats and Municipalities.
- Congress promises to enhance the role and authority of the Gram Sabhas in matters concerning the villages and Panchayats. Congress will make it obligatory for the Gram Sabha to meet at least twice a year.
- Congress promises to ensure that the authority of the Gram Sabha under the following Acts is obeyed and upheld and the said Acts are implemented in letter and spirit:
- The Panchayats (Extension to Scheduled Areas) Act, 1996
- The Forest Rights Act, 2006
- The Land Acquisition Act, 2013