CENTRAL ARMED POLICE FORCES
The Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) are our first line of defence at our borders. They are also the force of choice when there is a breakdown of law and order. Thousands of jawans have sacrificed their lives in the discharge of their duties. Congress promises to enhance the capabilities of the force and to improve the welfare of our jawans.
- We will increase the strength of the CAPFs to meet the growing requirements of border security and internal security
- At any given time, an adequate number of battalions will be on rest, recuperation and training and will not be deployed on operational duties.
- Congress promises to ensure increased representation of women to achieve a minimum of 33 per cent in the force strength of CISF, CRPF and BSF. Every effort will be made to induct more women into the other border guarding forces, namely, ITBP, SSB and Assam Rifles.
- We will enhance the facilities of health, education and housing for the personnel of the CAPFs and their families to bring them on par with the facilities provided for the Armed Forces. We will set up schools on the model of Sainik schools to enhance educational opportunities for their children.
- Congress promises to enhance the status of the jawan and the benefits to the families of jawans in cases were the jawan dies in action.
- We will set up a Committee to draft new Service Rules for personnel of the CAPFs.